Tuesday 12 August 2008

Crakemarsh, 10th August





On Sunday the 10th

I woke up with excitement a bit later than I planned to wake up by 3 hours or so.

After a 25 minute journey to Crakemarsh, located just outside Uttoxeter, which is part of the Leek Moorlands fishing club. I got there at 9 thirty.

I have tried to fish it a few times this season with little or no joy apart from the odd tench,bream and one carp (5lbs). Its a very hard pool to fish and you certainly need a lot of patience with it. I still haven't figured it out, in terms of what method is best, but I have seen a lot a carp next to the margins.

So I decided to fish with the wind blowing on my back and next to the lily pads on the right hand side. It seemed like a good choice as the water was fairly still compared to the rest of the pool.

Previously I had been throwing little freebies in so this time I decide to put a lot more on offer.

I also opted for a hair rig on my float with cat food as hook bait.

After an hour or so, I started to see a lot of movement in the lily's and few swirls next to my float. Then suddenly my float darted under the water into the lily pads. I pulled away in hope that the fish was still attached. To my relief it was, after 20 minutes of fighting I managed to land a 15 half lb common. It didn't have a mark on it. Its the biggest fish I've caught all season and the most beautiful. My extra baiting paid off.



After that I didn't get many bites until 5 o clock and then my float started to go under and I had another carp at 8 half pounds. I also managed to catch a small greedy baby carp and 1 and half pound Crucian carp.

I will certainly look forward to Crakemarsh again.

1 comment:

kelv said...

as a person who fishes crakemarsh alot,i also know of how hard the place can be,but also know of the great rewards that can be reaped with a little time and effort.i hav caught many of the lakes larger residents,but the lake still calls me back time and time again,not just for the beautiful,well looked after fish but also for the beautiful settings and scenery.hope uyou come back again and enjoy the fishing and maybe next time you will b graced by one of the bigger wiley leviathans.many thanks for this report and good look in your future fishing conquests.